THOMAS COLEMAN, b. abt. 1599 Chilmark, Wiltshire, Eng., d. 1682 Nantucket; m. (1) SUSANNA ______. who was b. Eng. and d. 17 Nov. 1650 in Newbury, Essex Co., MA. or Hampton, Rockingham Co., N.H. Thomas married (2) Mary, the widow of Edmund Johnson on on 11 Jul. 1651 in Hampton, N.H., she d. 30 Jan. 1662/63 in Hampton. Thomas married (3) Margaret Fowler aft. Jan 1662/63.
Thomas arrived in New England at Boston, MA. on 3 Jun 1635 on the JAMES out of Southampton, Eng. He came under contract to Saltonstall and others to keep a herd of cattle. Apparently the job didn't work out well since one source says he was judged in Court as having been "Negligent and unfaithful" in regards to his duties and contract. [need more on this]. On 17 may 1637 in a move to prevent the reelection of Governor Sir Harry Vane, ten men of Newbury walked the forty miles from Newbury to Cambridge and qualified to vote by taking the Freeman's Oath. While their votes alone probably didn't change the outcome of the election when the dust had settled Winthrop had been elected Governor. Thirteen years later, sometime in 1650 he moved north to the town of Hampton, Rockingham Co., N.H. Thomas left Hampton sometime before 20 Oct. 1663 when he was drawn for a jury on Nantucket.where he spent the rest of his life.
1. Joanna Coleman
2. Tobias Coleman, b. 1638 Newbury, Essex Co., MA. Settled in Rowley
3. Benjamin Coleman, b. 1 May 1640, Newbury, Essex Co., MA., died by drowning on 1 Oct. 1650 eigher in Newbury or Hampton, N.H. The exact date of the family's removal to Hampton isn't know.
4. Joseph Coleman, b. 2 Dec 1642, Newbury, Essex Co., MA. was of Piscatiqua, ME. He m. Ann Bunker, dau. of George Bunker and Jane Godfren of Topsfield, MA. Child: Ann Coleman
5. Susanna Coleman, b. bef 2 Jan 1642/43 in Newbury, Essex Co., MA.
6. JOHN COLEMAN Sr.
7. Isaac Coleman, b. 20 Nov 1647 in Newbury, Essex Co., MA., While returning from a supply trip to Martha's Vineyard Isaac was drowned on 06 Jun 1669 along with newlyweds John and Bethiah (Folger) Barnard when their large freight Canoe overturned in Nantucket Sound between Nantucket and the Vineyard. Bethia's older brother Eleazer Folger, also with them, survived by clinging to the drifting canoe. It is assumed that the Nantucket Indians who were crewing the large canoe also drowned as no mention if found of them surviving.
"A GENEALOGICAL DICTIONARY OF NEW ENGLAND", James Savage;
"EARLY SETTLERS OF NANTUCKET", p. 61, Lydia S. Hinchman, Phila., 1901.
"REGISTER OF THE FIRST SETTLERS OF NEW ENGLAND", p. 65, John Farmer.
"HISTORY OF NEWBURY", pp. 15, 29, 298; Joshua Coffin.
"THE NEW ENGLAND HISTORIC AND GENEALOGICAL REGISTER", V.16, pp. 269-74, July 1862; "The Folger Family"; comp. by Willam Coleman Folger of Nantucket.;
"Gen. Dict. of Me. & N.H."; by Libby, Noyes & Davis
JOHN COLEMAN Sr. , b. Apr. 1644 Newbury, Essex Co., MA., d. Dec. 1715 Nantucket, Nantucket Co., MA.; m. JOANNA FOLGER in 1666 on Nantucket. Joanna was b. 1645-1646 on Martha's Vineyard and died 18 July 1718 (18, 5mo., 1718)on Nantucket. She was the daughter of PETER FOLGER and MARY MORRELL of Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket.
1. Solomon Coleman, b. bef. 1667 on Nantucket and d. 12 Jan 1772. Solomon m. (1) Mary Macy who was b. on Nantucket and d. in 1715 on Nantucket. He married (2) Deliverance Swett.
2. Jeremiah Coleman, b. bef. 1667 on Nantucket and d. 4 Mar. 1739 (4, 1mo., 1739) on Nantucket. Jeremiah married Sarah Pratt 20 Jan.1714/15 (20 of 11 mo., 1714-15) on Nantucket. Sarah was the daughter of Joseph Pratt.
3. John Coleman Jr., b. 2 Aug 1667 Nantucket and d. 19 Jan 1762 aged 95, on Nantucket. John married Priscilla Starbuck on Nantucket. She was born about 1676 on Nantucket and died 14 Mar 1762, aged 86, on Nantucket. She was the daughter of Nathaniel Starbuck and Mary Coffin.
4. Thomas Coleman, b. 17 Oct 1669 on Nantucket, d. 31 Feb. 1753 (31 2 mo., 1752). He m. Jane _____ .
5. Isaac Coleman, b. 06 Feb 1671/72 on Nantucket. He married (1) Ann Reynolds and (2) widow Jane Watson. Isaac died without issue.
6. PHOEBE COLEMAN
7. Benjamin Coleman, b. 17 Jan 1676/77 on Nantucket. Benjamin never married and died without issue.
8. Abigail Coleman, b. 17 Jan 1676/77 on Nantucket , MA., and d. 18 Nov 1726 in Lebanon, CT. Abigail married James Tisdale of Deighton, Bristol Co., MA. He died 03 May 1762 in Lebanon, CT.
(same as above)
"THE VITAL RECORDS OF NANTUCKET", Vol 1, pp. 186-87; Vol 3, p. 186)
PHOEBE (PHEBE) COLEMAN, b. 15 Jun 1674 Nantucket, Nantucket Co., Ma. and died on Martha's Vineyard before 24 Nov. 1639 (1-v.3). m. (1) ROBERT CATHCART abt. 1691 Nantucket.
Phoebe married (2) Samuel Athearn on 16 Sep1719 in Martha's Vineyard. Samuel was b. 17 Sep.1671 in Martha's Vineyard and died 4 Mar.1766 in Tisbury. Samuel was a merchant and lived in the town of Tisbury on the Vineyard. He was the son of Simon Athearn and Mary Butler. There was no issue from Phoebe's second marriage.
"HISTORY OF MARTHA'S VINEYARD", Charles Edward Banks, Vol 2, p. 41-2 Cathcart family;Vol. 3, pp 20-27 Athearn Family.
"A GENEALOGICAL DICTIONARY OF NEW ENGLAND", James Savage
"NEW ENGLAND HISTORIC AND GENEALOGICAL REGISTER", Vol 16, pp. 269-274, (*note: this mistakenly gives Phoebe Coleman as marrying Gershom Cathcart, her own son.);
"DUKES COUNTY, MASS., PROBATE RECORDS", Vol 3, p. 121.
"THE VITAL RECORDS OF NANTUCKET", Vol 1, pp. 186-87; Vol 3, p. 186; Vol 5, pp. 111-112.