NICHOLAS HODSDON was b. abt. 1615, England, d. 1704, Wells, York Co., ME., Nicholas was at Hingham in 1635, Watertown by 1650 and Kittery by 1655.
On 18 Apr 1670 Nicholas Hodsdon deposed that 15 or 16 years previously Thomas Spencer had given one half of his part of the mill and timber he owned to Daniel Goodwin for his eldest daughter's portion. (YORK DEEDS 1887 v2 folio 79). This is interesting because in 1699 Nicholas Hodsdon's grandson Joseph Hodsdon married Daniel and Margaret's grand daughter Margaret Goodwin. It is only a small indicator of how closely these families were associated in the small towns they resided in.
Nicholas married (1) ESTHER WINES , 10 Dec. 1639, in Hingham, Plymouth Co., MA., she was was b. abt. 1618, and d. 29 Nov. 1647 Hingham, Plymouth Co., MA.
Nicholas married (2) Elizabeth Wincoll , after 25 May 1648 in Watertown, Middlesex Co., MA.. She was the dau. of John Wincoll. Elizabeth had m. (1) _______ Needham.
CHILDREN of Nicholas and (1) Esther Wines:
1. Esther Hodsdon, b. bef. 20 Sep. 1640 Hingham, Plymouth Co., MA., d. aft. 11 Mar. 1723 Kittery, York Co., ME.; She m. 25 Dec. 1663 Edward Weymouth.
2. Mehitable Hodsdon, b. Nov. 1641 Hingham, Plymouth Co., MA., d. Oct. 1694 Boston, Suffolk Co., MA.; m. 3 Mar 1664/65 Peter Welcome.
3. Jeremiah Hodsdon, b. 6 Sep. 1643 Hingham, Plymouth Co., MA., d. 1716; he m. Ann Thwaits.
4. Elizabeth Hodsdon, b. 16 Jul. Hingham, Plymouth Co., MA., d. bef. sep. 1663.
5. Israel Hodsdon, b. bef. 19 Jul 1646 Hingham, Plymouth Co., MA., d. 1696; m. abt. 1670 Ann Thompson the dau. of Miles Thompson and Ann Tetherley. Children: 1. Israel Hodsdon who m. Ann Wingate, 2. Ann Hodsdon who m. John Wingate.
6. BENONI HODSDON
CHILDREN of Nicholas and (2) Elizabeth Wincoll Hodsdon:
1. John Hodsdon
2. Lucy Hodsdon, d. 25 Sep 1725; m. George Vickers
3. Timothy Hodsdon, d. abt. 1719, of York, York Co., ME.; m. Hannah _____ .
4. Joseph Hodsdon, d. bef. 1691; m. Tabitha Raynes.
5. Hannah Hodsdon; m. Nicholas Smith 25 Jun 1695
6. Sarah Hodsdon; m. bef. 1667 John Morrell.
New England Marriages Prior To 1700, p. 378-379. [Hodsdon, Nicholas & 1/wf Esther (Wines) (-1647); ca 1639; Charlestown/Hingham] and [Hodsdon, Nicholas & 2/wf Elizabeth ?Needham/?Wincoll, w. John; aft 25 May 1648, b. 2 Oct 1650; Kittery, Me.]
"Genealogical Dictionary Of Maine And New Hampshire" [dates of residences]
BENONI HODSDON, b. Hingham, Plymouth Co., Mass., and baptised there on 5 Dec. 1647, he d. in 1718 at Berwick, York Co., Me.; Benoni m. ABIGAIL CURTIS about 1670 to 1675, prob. Boston, he was of Kittery at the time. Abigail was the daughter of Thomas Curtis and Elizabeth _____.
1. John Hodsdon, b. 24 Jul 1698 Boston, Suffolk Co., MA.; m. Elizabeth Wingate.
2. Thomas Hodsdon, d. bef. 1717; m. Mary Lord 1 Dec. 1709
3. JOSEPH HODSDON
4. Thomas Hodsdon, d. bef. 1717l; m. 1 Dec. 1709 Mary Lord.
5. Samuel Hodsdon, d. 1755; m. abt. 1722 Prudence Scammon
6. Hannah Hodsdon; m. 17 Nov. 1709 Richard Shackley
7. Abigail Hodsdon, b. 1664, d. aft. 1742; m. abt. 1693 Nicholas Gowen.
8. Esther Hodsdon, m. Thomas Horn
9. Elizabeth Hodsdon, m. James Fersuson/Ferguson
JOSEPH HODSDON, b. Kittery, York Co., ME, d. bef. 4 Apr. 1764 in Berwick, York Co., ME.. Joseph married MARGARET GOODWIN of Kittery in about 1699, probably in Kittery, York Co., ME. Margaret was born on 23 Aug. 1683 in Kittery and died bef. 1756; the dau. of DANIEL GOODWIN III and AMY THOMPSON. Joseph's will was probated 4 Apr 1764.
1. Abigail Hodsdon, b. 16 Jul 1700; m. Bial Hamilton on 26 Dec. 1721 as his second wife. Bial m. (1) Mary Hearl. Bial was b. abt. 1676 in Rollingsford, N.H. and d. bet. 1758 and 1763. He was the son of David Hamilton and Anna Jackson of Dover, Strawbery Bank and Rollingsford, N.H. and the uncle of Gabrial Hamilton who m. Abigail's sister Margaret.
2. Benjamin Hodsdon, b. 23 Jan 1702, d. 1774; m. Mary Shorey 8 Sep 1722.
3. Amie Hodsdon, b. 22 Nov. 1704; m. 14 mar 1725 John Shorey.
4. Joseph Hodsdon, b. bef. 19 Apr. 1716.
5. Elizabeth Hodsdon, b. bef. 19 Apr. 1716; m. John Pierce and Timothy Wentworth.
6. Judith Hodsdon, b. bef. 19 Apr. 1716; m. _____ Lewis.
7. Prudence Hodsdon, b. feb. 17 Jun 1720
8. MARGARET HODSDON
"Old Kittery And Her Families" states David Hamilton and Anna Jackson m. 1662, resided in Rollingsford, N.H.; also the m. of Daniel Goodwin and Amy Thompson, parents of Margaret, p. 453
J.C. Anderson II & L.W. Thurston, "Vital Records of Kittery, Maine" 1991, p. 8
"Ruth Varney Held. CHARLES VARNEY and RACHEL PARKER of Berwick, Maine Their ancestors and descendants", Copyright 1976 San Diego, California. p.80.
MARGARET HODSDON, b. abt 1710-1715, probably in York Co., ME. She m. GABRIEL HAMILTON JR before 1729 in York Co., ME. He was the son of GABRIEL HAMILTON SR and MARY HEARL.
"Old Kittery And Her Families"