The Huff line is a real stumper. There are a lot of guesses and conjectures concerning the parents and ancestors of Horatio Huff. See a copy of the Huff research done by Thelma Reynolds Morse which I've included on this page.
Franklin Huff, who was enumerated in Horatio's household in Burnham, ME in 1850 is reported to have been Horatio's brother or half-brother.
An unsourced history of our Huff line compiled by a
cousin can be seen by
HORATIO HUFF, b. abt 1805 in Hartland, Somerset Co., ME,
He m. MEHITABLE REYNOLDS on 23 Feb 1828 in Burnham, Waldo Co., Me. She was b. abt. 1808 in ME. and d. 1 Jan. 1889 in Hartland, ME, the daughter of DANIEL REYNOLD JR and RACHEL RENOLDS/RUNNELLS of Burnham, Waldo Co., ME
1. Rachel Huff, b. 1829 
2. BETSEY E. HUFF 
3. Teresa Huff, b. 1832, m. Silas RICKER in Burnham; their intention was dated September 26, 1855.  
4. Levi Huff, , b. abt. 1834, was said to have gone west. 
5. Amasa Huff, b. 1836, d. September 12, 1876, m. Emily Reynolds July 26, 1857. She was b. May 27, 1837 and d. January 21, 1908, the dau. of Barak Reynolds and Clarissa.
6. Rosina Huff, b. November 1838, d. September 10, 1839, buried in Hartland, ME.
7. Susanna Huff, b. abt. 1836
8. Serena Huff, , b. February 27, 1839, m. Elvin Jaquith on December 16, 1860 in Clinton, Kennebec Co., ME.
9. Albert Huff, (twin), b. September 27, 1841, m. Laura A. ---- April 4, 1863 in Clinton, Kennebec Co., ME.
10. Alfred Huff, (twin), b. September 27, 1841, d. November 1925.
11. Josiah Huff, b. 1843, d. April 26, 1903, m. Mary (_____) on December 8, 1866. She was b. March 1, 1841 and d. March 7, 1879.
12. Henry Huff, b. 1845, d. October 5, 1899, m. Drucilla Reynolds. She was b. 1846/47, d. May 28, 1933 at 86, the daughter of John Reynolds and Betsey Dodge.
13. Mary Huff, b. 1847
14. James H. Huff, 1849
BETSEY E. HUFF, b. abt 1831 in Burnham, Waldo Co., ME., d. 4 Dec. 1866, Burnham. She was buried in the Reynolds Cemetery in Burnham. She m. GILMAN H. REYNOLDS on 03 Oct 1850 in Burnham. They were m. by Tobias Lord. Gilman was her first cousin through the Reynolds side. He was born abt 1828 in Burnham, and died 10 Mar 1865 in Virginia.in the service of his country, a Private in Co., A. 20th Me. Vol. Reg. age 39 at death. He was the son of JOHN B. REYNOLDS and BETSEY DODGE of Burnham.
Their marriage was after the 1850 census was taken since Betsey was enumerated in the household of her parents.
Gilman appears on a microfilm copy of the 1850 U.S. Census of the town of Burnham living in the household of Mary S. Whiting. There were a total of 17 individuals listed at that residence. All the males over the age of 16 were listed as being farmers. Two were surnamed Whiting. There were eight other adult males in residence. one was living there with his wife and one month old son. The remaining adult males ranged in age from sixteen to forty. A guess would be that they were either hired men or boarders.
Two adult females, in the same household are also of interest:
"Mary Reynolds, age 19, female, ______, born Maine". Mary was probably his first cousin, the daughter of Barack Reynolds and his Wife Clarissa.
"Rachel Huff,age 21, female, _____, born Maine." Even though there was also a Rachel Huff enumerated in the Horatio Huff household this appears to have been Betsey's sister .
For an unknown period of time it appears that Gilman and Betsey resided in Hallowell, Kennebec Co., Me. as their daughter Delphina's birth is listed there. Her marriage is also listed there but this was in 1872, after the death of both her parents, when she was almost 21 years old and I suspect she had returned to Hallowell to live, either on her own or with relatives or friends.
U. S. Census, 1850, Burnham, Waldo Co., Me., p. 243.
Marriage Records, Waldo Co., Maine.
Info provided by Kelly Huff of Burnham, ME, April 1998
D thru F G thru I J thru L M thru P R thru T V thru Y