RICHARD TILDEN was born about 1510 at Benenden, Kent, England. and died on 26 Jan 1565/66 or 26 May 1666 at Tenterden, Kent. He married ELIZABETH GLOVER about 1540 in Benenden, Kent. She was born about 1515 at Benenden and was buried on 30 Dec 1585 at Cranbrook, Kent. She was the daughter of THOMAS GLOVER.
1. John Tilden was born about 1545 at Benenden, Kent and died in Jan 1624/25. He married Patience Casselen on 23 Jun 1564 at St Mildred's, Tenterden, Kent.
2. THOMAS TILDEN
3. Julian Tilden was born about 1548 in Benenden, Kent. She married Thomas Finches on 21 May 1568 at Benenden.
4. Agnes Tilden was born about 1550 at Benenden, Kent. She married Peter Pierse on 14 Feb 1567.68 at Tenterden, Kent.
5. Thomasen Tilden was born about 1552 at Benenden, Kent.
6. Catherine Tilden was born about 30 Jul 1554 at Benenden, Kent.
7. Mary Tilden was born on 8 June 1556 at Benenden, Kent and died young.
8. Alice Tilden was born on 6 Apr 1559 at Benenden, Kent.
9. Mary Tilden was born on 15 May 1562 at Benenden, Kent.
THOMAS TILDEN was born in 1546 at Benerden, Kent and died on 6 Jun 1617 at Wye, Kent, Eng. He married (1) ALICE BIGGS 10 Mar. 1576/77 at Tenterden, Kent, Eng. She was born on 6 June in 1544 or 1548.
Thomas married (2) Ellen Hubbarde Evernden.
1. NATHANIEL TILDEN
NATHANIEL TILDEN, was baptized on 28 Jul 1583 in Tenterden, Kent. His will was dated 25 May 1641 and his estate was inventoried on 31 July 1641.[5/V3 p220] This places his death between those two dates.
He married LYDIA HUCKSTEPE in about 1606, probably in Tenterden, Kent, Eng. She was the daughter of STEPHEN HUCKSTEPE and WINNIFRED HATCH. After Nathaniel's death in 1641 Lydia married (2) Timothy Hatherly. Lydia Huckstepe was through her mother, cousin of another Hurcules passenger, Thomas Hatch of Scituate.
Nathaniel, Lydia and seven of their surviving children accompanied by seven servants set out from Sandwich, England and arrived in New England on the ship Hercules in 1634/35 . They settled in Scituate, Plymouth Co., MA. The size of their party with the presence of seven servants is strong evidence that Nathaniel was financially well off. He was always addressed as 'Mr' rather than 'Goodman' and was one of the wealthier settlers of early Scituate.
Nathaniel's Will was dated 25 May 1641 and the inventory of his estate was conducted on 31 July 1641. In his Will he mentioned his wife Lydia and children -Stephen, Lydia, Joseph, Thomas, Judith, Mary wife of Thomas Lapham and Sarah wife of George Sutton. In addition he made provisions for his two indentured servants, Edward Jenkins and Edward Tarte. [5/V3 p220]
1. Thomas Tilden, born in England, died young.
2. Mary Tilden, born in England, married Thomas Lapham on 13 March 1636/37 in Scituate, Plymouth Co., MA.. He was a servant of Nathaniel Tilden.
3. Joseph Tilden, born in England, died young.
4. SARAH TILDEN, born in England. Married GEORGE SUTTON on 13 March 1636/37 in Scituate, Plymouth Co., MA.. He was a servant of Nathaniel Tilden.
5. Joseph Tilden, born in England. Married Elizabeth Twisden.
6. Stephen Tilden, born in England, died young.
7. Thomas Tilden, born in England. Married Elizabeth (Bourne) Waterman.
8. JUDITH TILDEN was born on 22 Oct 1620 at Tenterden, Kent, Eng. and died after 30 Mar 1663 in York, York Co., ME. She married ABRAHAM PREBLE on 3 Jan 1639/40 at Scituate, MA. or York, ME. Torry says about 1641
9. Winifred Tilden, born in England; died young.
10. Lydia Tilden, born in England; died young.
11. Lydia Tilden, born in England. Married Richard Garrett.
12. Stephen Tilden, born in England. Married Hannah Little.
Don Weymouth's web site
C.A. Torrey, "New England Marriages Prior To 1700", Gen.Pub. Co., Baltimore, 1987.
History and background of the Tilden family can be found in NEHGR V63 p322, V75 p226, and V114 p153.
Elizabeth French, NEHGR V70 p256
NEHGR V9 p286
Savage, V3., p.477
"Plymouth Colony Its History & People 1620-1691", Eugene Aubrey Stratton, Ancestry Publishing, Salt Lake City. p. 361
NEHGR 9:286 [marriage of Mary & Sarah]
D thru F G thru I J thru L M thru P R thru T V thru Y